23 June 2013

Going Mobile

Ok, well, this is the point that I've been waiting for... Or rather one of the many, many points in production that I've been waiting for, Android development has happened. The latest version of Unity 4.1 allows for free licensing of Android APK files, which is good news for me, since last I heard it was $400 to get that. So I printed out a copy of the game for unity, changed up some input files and Viola! a working android game. Now I still have more updates than I can count before I'm ready to release, but at least this is a step in the right direction. Now, if you have no experience with android .apk files, what you'll need to do is download it to your phone, somewhere you can access (I had to download X-plore in order to get to access the folder on my wife's phone.) In settings you might have to allow for custom APK files, or non-managed installs, something along those lines, basicly it means you aren't installing from google play store or otherwise, and installing it manually, like you would a .exe file. Install it, play it, simple as that. I'm trying to see how it looks or acts on several devices. My Samsung Galaxy S3 plays it pretty well with little to no lag, my wife's old HTC Evo plays it with a pretty low framerate, but it still plays well enough to enjoy. Basic gameplay is as follows: click on buttons to navigate menu's. the initial (first run) help screens you have to click through don't display anything still. While playing, tap on the leftside of the screen to jump, tap the right side to attack. you start with basic jump, and basic melee attack, and even though it would be insanely impossible to play through enough to unlock the advanced jump/attack skills, they are still availible, and they do work. Although swipe powers, character menu, gadgets and most menu's still don't work. Oh well, lets see how this goes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yuw8lfnz77ald9/AndSSIA.apk

Let me know what you think, It's still so early, so some things are expected, but I'd like to know what bugs you encounter anyways. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment